Friday, July 27, 2007

Ups and Downs of turning two...

Well Lucy's birthday party was spectacular. She had a fabulous time and got lots of great gifts from her grandparents and aunts and uncles. I made the much stressed over Cookie Monster cake.




The party really couldn't have gone better. Good food, good company, happy Birthday girl. We even watched a DVD full of short videos I've taken of her. It was great. The next day was a shower for Rachel, my brother's fiance. It went very well and Lucy enjoyed herself thoroughly (are you sensing a theme?).


Then Monday was the big day. The big 2. We were so excited to go to Grant's Farm. Our day started at about 6:45 a.m. like this:


We got her all ready to go and presentable and headed off to Grant's Farm, a very happy little family of 3. We were talking about how we would see lots of animals, and feed the baby goats, and see horses. She was super stoked. Frank and I would take turns looking back at her and saying "Happy Birthday". Each time produced a face just like this:



When we pulled onto Gravois Road, I was so excited. I know it was for her, but I swear I was much more excited! Then we pulled onto the side road to enter the farm. Lucy was chanting "farm" in the backseat and we were so excited. Then we got to the parking lot. EMPTY. Oh no. My pulse quickened - I swear. Closed!!!!!! Apparently, every good St. Louisan knows that Grant's Farm is closed each and every Monday. Yikes. Now I have to tell this estatic two year old in the backseat that the farm is closed. I feel a lump forming. So I turn around in my seat and gently break the news. "I'm sorry baby, the farm is closed today, we can't go in." It only took about 30 seconds to go from that happy go lucky little girl above to this one:




I really thought I was going to cry right along with her. The above face and several similar variations continued for about 20 minutes. We talked about what to do now. We had promised animals and wanted to follow through. So, we decided that it would be good enough (not really, but we were in a pinch) to go to Petsmart and looking at fish and ferrets and hamsters. The plan worked pretty well. We even got one good picture of her looking at "Dorothy" before a manager informed us they don't allow photography in the store. Huh?


We still felt awful about the farm experience gone wrong so quick trip through Toys r Us was in order. I think she was finally happy!

1 comment:

Alison said...

I love the picture commentary! Her faces are just priceless and I know you must have felt SO horrible for building her up for the farm and the not being able to go afterall!

Your cake is gorgeous! Perhaps you need to reevaluate your purpose in life!